2013 Johnny Thirsk Memorial Scholarship
Johnny Thirsk was a driving force in the NSFA for many years offering his services as a Board Member, Tournament Director and in any other way he could help out. He was a friend to all. When he passed away in 2005, the Club initiated a scholarship in his memory. John believed in giving back to the community. It our hope that this is the message we are sending to our young people through this scholarship.
Scholarship Description: A $1,000 scholarship will be awarded to an outstanding 2013 graduating high school senior. This scholarship is a renewable scholarship, good for 2 years for a total of $2,000 per recipient.
Criteria for award:
- Resident of Nassau County
- Plan to attend a 2 or 4 year college or university as a full time student
- GPA, SAT/ACT scores will be considered
- Financial Need
- Extra Curricular Activities and Community Service hours will be considered
- Must complete a 1 – 2 page typed essay in response to the following questions: Why do you plan to attend college? What are your goals for the future? Why do you think you would be a good recipient of this scholarship?
- To renew, recipient must have satisfactory completion of Freshman year in college with a minimum GPA of 2.5, submit a letter of request along with an official transcript and fee slip for upcoming semester to NSFA Scholarship Committee at the address listed below.
- Additional consideration will be given to students who exhibit an interest in Marine Biology and/or participation with NSFA as members or volunteers at events.
Instructions to the applicant:
1. Place the completed application form in an envelope with the following information:
- Two reference forms. One from a high school faculty member and one from an employer, community leader or family friend.
- 1-2 page essay
- High School Transcript
- Proof of Financial Need
2. To be eligible for consideration for the current year all completed applications with all required forms and information included, must be postmarked by April 20, 2013.
Please mail to: Nassau Sport Fishing Association Attn: The Johnny Thirsk Memorial Scholarship Committee c/o Mike Castner 2803 Tidewater St. Fernandina Beach, FL 32034
Note: Certificate to be presented at local Senior Awards Program. Recipient and family will be invited to attend a Nassau Sport Fishing Association monthly social meeting to receive scholarship pending notification of enrollment in college.